For years Nintendo stood on the fence when it came to putting their big ticket mascots on a system or mobile device other then their own. The tides have since changed and for the very first time in history Mario will appear exclusively on Apple’s App Store.
During Apples September 7 conference revealing the new iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2, Shigeru Miyamoto and Bill Trinen from Nintendo took the stage to show off the new side scrolling runner game where simplicity and ease of use is key. The game is described by Nintendo below.
In this game, Mario constantly moves forward through the courses while you use a variety of jumps to navigate. Mario will behave differently depending on the timing of your taps, so it’s up to you to show off particularly smooth moves, gather coins, and reach the goal.
There are three different game modes to play. The first mode features challenging courses for you to complete while collecting coins. The second mode has you challenge the play data of other players to show who can beat a course with the most style to impress Toads into joining you. In the third mode, you get to create your own Mushroom Kingdom using the coins and Toads collected by playing the first two game modes.
Super Mario run will be a pay once and play game with no need to spend extra on in app purchases. The game will be hitting the iOS App Store exclusively this December. For a first look check out the gameplay video below.
A supposed page from the latest Game Informer is claiming the upcoming Star Fox Wii U game will support both analog and motion controls.
The pages reads as follows;
“Nintendo is planning on bringing Fox Mcloud out of retirement for a new entry on the Wii U. Fox will be able to fly his Arwing and seamlessly transform into a tank during certian sequences. Pilots can control the game either with their Gamepad’s analog sticks or motion control. The game was very early in development and looked admittedly rought the last we saw of it, but we’re hoping Fox gets the new, grand adventure he deserves.”
During todays Nintendo Direct, Mr. Iwata announced some new details surrounding Super Mario 3D Land for Wii U. A new power up called the Cherry Power Up joins along side the new Cat Mario suit. The Cherry Power Up allows Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach and Toad to multiply their character up to four times for added fire power. Mr. Iwata stated that the game will feature four player co-op play and a great single player campaign. Super Mario 3D Land will hit store shelves and the Nintendo eShop on November 22. Along with a new gameplay trailer which can be seen below Nintendo announced two Wii Remote Plus controllers. On November 1st Mario fans can pick up either a Mario or Luigi themed Wii Remote Plus controller.
Wii U owners will soon be able to take control of Scrooge Mcduck in the upcoming multi-platform remaster of Disney’s Duck Tales game which originally released on the NES in 1989. In a new WayForward “Duckumentary” it has been revealed that the game will launch in North America on August 13 for $14.99 and August 15 in Europe for €14.99. Check out WayForwards background Duckumenary below.
Rejoice Wii U owners because another system update has arrived on Wii U with further stability improvements to the overall operating system. While this may not be the much anticipated big summer update many had hoped for it adds a few new features. The major Wii U summer update appears to be delayed until later this year. Check out the firmware update details below.
Improvements to Standby Functions:
- The standby functions will now regularly connect to the Internet when the Wii U is powered down to check for available SpotPass data or software and system updates. Software updates will be installed while the Wii U is powered down, and system updates will be installed the next time the Wii U is powered on.
Improvements to system stability and usability:
- Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.
During the Nintendo E3 Best Buy event I was able to get some time with The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. You’ll have to excuse the poor navigating of Link as I was testing the controls and gameplay out during the demo. It’s without a doubt that Wind Waker makes a beautiful transition to HD. The colours “pop” more then ever before and the way the sun reflects in the sky to the crisp texture details in the environment all add a new sense of depth to this classic entry in the series. The controls were fairly tight with the exception of entering a hole in the wall where I experienced a slight camera hiccup while trying to get Link to the other side. My overall time with the remastered HD Wind Waker was met with a positive view for the release scheduled this fall. I can’t help but dream about where the series will go next with Wii U’s HD console. Check out my hands on video below.
I recently had the opportunity to go hands on with Super Mario 3D World at Nintendo’s Best Buy E3 event. My first impressions when seeing the game during Nintendo’s E3 Direct were met with disappointment as I was expecting a 3D Mario along the lines of Super Mario Galaxy. After getting my hands on the demo my mind has swayed on it’s previous disappointment. For those who played Super Mario 3D Land you will find yourself in a very familiar game with some beautiful HD graphics and fairly solid gameplay. At this point my only disappointment with the game is when a player falls behind they go off the screen and it can take a second before the bubble brings you back into gameplay. This can kill the experience for some. Check out our hands on video below.
Despite many who thought Nintendo’s E3 Direct was rather bland and lacking the wow factor many expected, Nintendo did deliver on a rather safe but enjoyable looking line up for Wii U. Here’s an in depth recap of all the games Nintendo announced during the presentation.
Wii U Games Announcements
- SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD: Super Mario 3D World is a continuation of the series Super Mario 3D Land which was originally released on 3DS. For the first time in a 3D Mario game it will feature up to four players in multiplayer mode with either Mario, Luigi, Toad or Peach to choose from. Each character will feature their own unique ability such as Peach’s ability to hover in mid air, toad’s ability to run faster then others and of course Luigi’s classic long jump. The game will feature a brand new suit called the Cat Mario suit. The Cat Mario suite can perform new actions such as climbing up walls and scratching enemies with his claws. You can look out for the new Super Mario 3D World game this December.
- Mario Kart 8: Mario Kart 8 features a brand new gameplay mechanic called the anti gravity which has been implemented within the courses. With this new mechanic players can race upside walls and upside down creating a brand new dimension to the game. You can also race underwater, glide in the air or ride motorcycles like in Mario Kart Wii. The game will feature its classic online multiplayer mode and for the first time ever Miiverse integration. Through Miiverse players can share racing highlights via Miiverse. The feature is dubbed Mario Kart TV. Mario Kart 8 is set to launch in Spring 2014.
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker: Earlier this year it was revealed that The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker would be making its way to Wii U as a completely remastered titles with updated HD visuals. Below is a new trailer showing off the latest in game footage of the upcoming Zelda title. Wind Waker will feature 1080p support, new shaders support to help visual expressions, refined texture graphics. The Tingle feature in the game has been upgraded to be used with Miiverse. Look out for Wind Waker this October.
- The Wonderful 101: The Wonderful 101 is an action game where a group of heroes and their leader battle against the space invader group who have started to attack earth. The hero features a mode called unit mode where the hero joins all partners together to form a giant special weapon which can be used to defeat large enemies and bosses. Unite mode can activated by using the gamepad to draw gestures which will determine how powerful your weapon is.The Wonderful 101 will be available on September 15th, 2013.
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is a new title by famed developers Retro studios which features Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong back at Donkey Kong Island which has been taken over by a new enemy. In order to save Donkey Kong Island, Donkey Kong must set off against the new set of enemies called Vikings from the North Sea. The game will feature new dynamic camera angles and HD visuals to help realize the world of Donkey Kong. Look out for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze this November.
- Bayonetta 2: During the E3 show Nintendo showed off the much anticipated Bayonetta 2 which is exclusive to Wii U. Bayonetta 2 will arrive in 2014. Check out the latest epic trailer below.
- X: From the creators of Xenoblade comes this new epic title X by Monolith Soft. X is an open world adventure game for Wii U. Look out for X in 2014. Check out the trailer below for a taste of this fantastic looking game.
- Super Smash Bros (Wii U & 3DS): Here is the latest trailer for the upcoming Super Smash Bros game for Wii U and 3DS. Super Smash Bros is set for release in 2o14.
- Wii Party U: Wii Party U is a collection of stand out board and party games that utilize the unique features of the Wii U Gamepad and Wii remote controllers. The game will feature 80 new and different mini games and the addition of a brand new mode called “Table Top Mini Games” which you can play using one Gamepad and two players. Wii Party U was originally supposed to be released this summer however the game is being delayed in order to take more time to work on the game. The new release window for Wii Party U is October of this year.
- Wii Fit U: Wii Fit U was originally slated for a summer release. Nintendo has decided to take more time to work on the game to help implement new features. The new scheduled release window for Wii Fit U is slated for a December launch.
- Art Academy: After Miiverse blew up into an artistic drawing endeavour by many Nintendo fans, Nintendo decided they would like to create a new Art Academy designed for Wii U artist in order to help better show off their drawings in Miiverse. Users will be able to use a host of drawing tools to show off their art work in Miiverse for the world to see. This new drawing tool will be available on the Wii U eShop this summer.
Here is a list of 3rd party Wii U and 3DS releases for 2013;
- Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (Wii U/October 29th, 2013)
- Batman Arkham Origins (Wii U/October 25th, 2013)
- Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate (3DS/October 25, 2013)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Directors Cut (Wii U/2013)
- Disney Infinity (Wii U/August 18th, 2013)
- Just Dance 2o14 (Wii U/October 8th, 2o13)
- Rayman Legends (Wii U/September 3rd, 2013)
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Wii U/Fall 2013)
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (3DS/Fall 2013)
- Disney’s Planes (Wii U/August 6th, 2013)
- Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS/July 16th, 2013)
- Skylanders Swap Force (Wii U/October 13th, 2013)
- Skylanders Swap Force (3DS/October 13th, 2013)
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Wii U/August 20th, 2013)
- Sonic Lost World (Wii U/Holiday 2o13)
- Sonic Lost World (3DS/Holiday 2o13)
- Watch Dogs (Wii U/November 19th, 2013)
Here is a list of games set to arrive both Wii U and 3DS eShop in near future:
That wraps up some of the biggest highlights from Nintendo’s E3 conference. Stay tuned for more upcoming news as we get hands on with some E3 games this Saturday.
Nintendo recently announced a partnership with Best Buy to bring E3 games to the masses in both the US and Canada. Adding to the excitement Nintendo will be bring two more events for fans to experience during E3 week. The first even is the Nintendo Cross-Canada Tour which will give people a chance to try out Wii U and 3DS games. Confirmed games on demo are New Super Mario Bros. U, LEGO City: Undercover, Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Mario and Luigi: Dream Team, Game & Wario, and Pikmin 3. The event will also include an interactive area where you can snap a Nintendo themed photo at a photo booth and share it with your friends. To add to the fun, try the spin the Cross-Canada Tour Prize Wheel for a chance to win some awesome Nintendo items before you leave. Prizes include T-Shirts, candy, and photo frames. Nintendo has also stated that there may even be a mystery prize or two.
The second event taking place is an Animal Crossing meet up event. To celebrate the release of Animal Crossing: New Leaf Nintendo will be hosting meet ups across Canada where 3DS owners with a copy of the game can interact and share with other Animal Crossing fans. The event will be a great opportunity for fans to StreetPass other players to exchange their Happy Home Showcase, trade items, and play mini-games. There will be an Animal Crossing Ambassador wearing an branded T-shirt at the meet up. Complimentary gifts will be distributed to the first 50 players to show up at each Meet-Up.
Here is the schedule for each event listed below;
Nintendo Cross-Canada Tour Schedule
June 8-9 Charlottetown – Hockey Night in Canada – Play On!”
June 15-16 Halifax – Hockey Night in Canada – Play On!”
June 29-30 Ottawa – Byward Market
July 1 Ottawa – Canada Day at Major’s Park Hill
July 5-7 Toronto / Blue Mountain – Jazz on the Mountain At Blue
July 12 Toronto – Game On 2.0 at Ontario Science Center
July 19-20 Montreal – Jackalope Festival
July 24 Montreal – La Ronde Fireworks
July 26-27 Montreal – St-James on St-Catherines (463 Sainte-Catherine St W)
July 31 Montreal – La Ronde Fireworks
AUGUST / SEPTEMBER
August 10-11 Winnipeg – The Forks
August 16- September 2 Toronto – CNE* (trailer not onsite)
August 24-25, 31-September 2 Vancouver – PNE*
…more locations to come!
Animal Crossing: New Leaf Meet Up Schedule
You’ll find our Animal Crossing Ambassadors holding a Meet Up at the following locations from 1:00PM – 5:00PM
Toronto @ Scarborough Town Centre
Toronto @ Wellesly Community Center (June 16th, 22nd and 23rd only)
Calgary @ Cardel Place (June 16th, 22nd and 23rd only)
Edmonton @ Mill Woods Rec Center(June 16th, 22nd and 23rd only)
Halifax @ Scotia Square
Montreal @ Montreal Eaton Centre
Vancouver @ Lansdowne Shopping Centre