Despite many who thought Nintendo’s E3 Direct was rather bland and lacking the wow factor many expected, Nintendo did deliver on a rather safe but enjoyable looking line up for Wii U. Here’s an in depth recap of all the games Nintendo announced during the presentation.
Wii U Games Announcements
- SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD: Super Mario 3D World is a continuation of the series Super Mario 3D Land which was originally released on 3DS. For the first time in a 3D Mario game it will feature up to four players in multiplayer mode with either Mario, Luigi, Toad or Peach to choose from. Each character will feature their own unique ability such as Peach’s ability to hover in mid air, toad’s ability to run faster then others and of course Luigi’s classic long jump. The game will feature a brand new suit called the Cat Mario suit. The Cat Mario suite can perform new actions such as climbing up walls and scratching enemies with his claws. You can look out for the new Super Mario 3D World game this December.
- Mario Kart 8: Mario Kart 8 features a brand new gameplay mechanic called the anti gravity which has been implemented within the courses. With this new mechanic players can race upside walls and upside down creating a brand new dimension to the game. You can also race underwater, glide in the air or ride motorcycles like in Mario Kart Wii. The game will feature its classic online multiplayer mode and for the first time ever Miiverse integration. Through Miiverse players can share racing highlights via Miiverse. The feature is dubbed Mario Kart TV. Mario Kart 8 is set to launch in Spring 2014.
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker: Earlier this year it was revealed that The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker would be making its way to Wii U as a completely remastered titles with updated HD visuals. Below is a new trailer showing off the latest in game footage of the upcoming Zelda title. Wind Waker will feature 1080p support, new shaders support to help visual expressions, refined texture graphics. The Tingle feature in the game has been upgraded to be used with Miiverse. Look out for Wind Waker this October.
- The Wonderful 101: The Wonderful 101 is an action game where a group of heroes and their leader battle against the space invader group who have started to attack earth. The hero features a mode called unit mode where the hero joins all partners together to form a giant special weapon which can be used to defeat large enemies and bosses. Unite mode can activated by using the gamepad to draw gestures which will determine how powerful your weapon is.The Wonderful 101 will be available on September 15th, 2013.
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is a new title by famed developers Retro studios which features Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong back at Donkey Kong Island which has been taken over by a new enemy. In order to save Donkey Kong Island, Donkey Kong must set off against the new set of enemies called Vikings from the North Sea. The game will feature new dynamic camera angles and HD visuals to help realize the world of Donkey Kong. Look out for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze this November.
- Bayonetta 2: During the E3 show Nintendo showed off the much anticipated Bayonetta 2 which is exclusive to Wii U. Bayonetta 2 will arrive in 2014. Check out the latest epic trailer below.
- X: From the creators of Xenoblade comes this new epic title X by Monolith Soft. X is an open world adventure game for Wii U. Look out for X in 2014. Check out the trailer below for a taste of this fantastic looking game.
- Super Smash Bros (Wii U & 3DS): Here is the latest trailer for the upcoming Super Smash Bros game for Wii U and 3DS. Super Smash Bros is set for release in 2o14.
- Wii Party U: Wii Party U is a collection of stand out board and party games that utilize the unique features of the Wii U Gamepad and Wii remote controllers. The game will feature 80 new and different mini games and the addition of a brand new mode called “Table Top Mini Games” which you can play using one Gamepad and two players. Wii Party U was originally supposed to be released this summer however the game is being delayed in order to take more time to work on the game. The new release window for Wii Party U is October of this year.
- Wii Fit U: Wii Fit U was originally slated for a summer release. Nintendo has decided to take more time to work on the game to help implement new features. The new scheduled release window for Wii Fit U is slated for a December launch.
- Art Academy: After Miiverse blew up into an artistic drawing endeavour by many Nintendo fans, Nintendo decided they would like to create a new Art Academy designed for Wii U artist in order to help better show off their drawings in Miiverse. Users will be able to use a host of drawing tools to show off their art work in Miiverse for the world to see. This new drawing tool will be available on the Wii U eShop this summer.
Here is a list of 3rd party Wii U and 3DS releases for 2013;
- Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (Wii U/October 29th, 2013)
- Batman Arkham Origins (Wii U/October 25th, 2013)
- Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate (3DS/October 25, 2013)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Directors Cut (Wii U/2013)
- Disney Infinity (Wii U/August 18th, 2013)
- Just Dance 2o14 (Wii U/October 8th, 2o13)
- Rayman Legends (Wii U/September 3rd, 2013)
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Wii U/Fall 2013)
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (3DS/Fall 2013)
- Disney’s Planes (Wii U/August 6th, 2013)
- Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS/July 16th, 2013)
- Skylanders Swap Force (Wii U/October 13th, 2013)
- Skylanders Swap Force (3DS/October 13th, 2013)
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Wii U/August 20th, 2013)
- Sonic Lost World (Wii U/Holiday 2o13)
- Sonic Lost World (3DS/Holiday 2o13)
- Watch Dogs (Wii U/November 19th, 2013)
Here is a list of games set to arrive both Wii U and 3DS eShop in near future:
That wraps up some of the biggest highlights from Nintendo’s E3 conference. Stay tuned for more upcoming news as we get hands on with some E3 games this Saturday.
Nintendo revealed today that Donkey Country Returns 3D would be arriving much sooner then the summer release window originally promised.
The above picture was posted by Nintendo today via Facebook and states that this incredibly challenging game will be arriving on May 24, 2013. With solid titles hitting the 3DS since February it seems Nintendo is well on the right track to a full blown blockbuster release year for 3DS.
Capcom has finally revealed the North American release date for Monster Hunter Ultimate which launched with the Wii U in Japan. On March 19th Monster Hunter fans can finally get their hands on both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the game. Monster Hunter Ultimate is set to feature new monsters, HD graphics on Wii U and 3D on the 3DS. The two games will work together allowing you to resume on either the 3DS or Wii U at any point in the game. While the Wii U version will be online the 3DS will be local play only. Look out for Monster Hunter this March.
XSEED has finally decided to publish the final third RPG game Pandora’s Tower in North America. In 2011 a movement dubbed “Operation Rainfall” came into effect when Nintendo of America refused to comment on the localization of Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora’s Tower in North America. Years North Americans will finally be able to get their hands on the last of three titles fought for by Operation Rainfall. Pandora’s Tower focuses on character Aeron’s travels into thirteen towers to break a curse on Elena that is transforming her into a beast, using his magical sword and chain. Look out for Pandora’s Tower sometime this Spring.
The Official Nintendo Magazine is teasing a world exclusive look at a new game set to be revealed in their February issue. In their current issue a picture of pipework and engineering is shown with the phrase “”Are you scared? You should be…” “World Exclusive! The first look at a stunning new game.”
It is possible that we could see Resident Evil Revelations revealed since many of the games levels take place on different ships coupled with the hint in their statement. With Resident Evil Revelations already coming to Xbox 360 and PS3 in HD form and titles Resident Evil Revelations Unveiled Edition it seems a sure bet this title could be headed to Wii U. The next issue of the Official Nintendo Magazine hits shelves on February 13.
Source: Digital Spy
UPDATE (Feb 14): Nintendo has confirmed via Twitter that this bundle is in fact true and will be arriving in North America most likely on launch day.
If a recently revealed picture holds any truth, North America might be in luck as a 3DS Fire Emblem Awakening themed bundle looks to be headed our way. The picture looks to have been taken from ad and suggests the bundle is coming to participating retailers. The bundle will include a blue 3DS with a Fire Emblem themed design on top and a copy of the game.
There is no confirmation as of yet whether this bundle will hit North America. Earlier yesterday, Nintendo revealed that a demo of Fire Emblem Awakening would be hitting the 3DS eShop on January 17. Stay tuned in the coming weeks as we might just get that sleek custom Fire Emblem themed 3DS when the game launches on February 4.
A source is claiming that the big Pokémon announcement set for tomorrow will come in the form of two announcements. The first will be Pokémon Rainbow for 3DS which encompasses Pokémon 1-4: Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, Ruby and Sapphire, and Diamond and Pearl. The second will be in the form of a Pokémon application set to release alongside the 3DS game. Heres what the source had to say:
The announcement is, more or less, a love letter to the franchise. It’s being called Pokemon Rainbow, a 3DS game that encompasses the settings and Pokemon from generations 1-4: Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, Ruby and Sapphire, and Diamond and Pearl. You can take my word for it that the graphics are done up very nicely. The perspective is similar to what you’d expect from Pokemon games, but the camera is much more dynamic. The graphical style is characterized by very clean, dark lines. Almost cartoonish, but not quite. Battles look radically different, and move away from the use of pixel art. Though it seems that the interface is still made of pixels. The battle that it shown is between a totally new trainer and a wild Weedle. The trainer uses a Pikachu.
I’m not privy to any story details, as I only know what will be announced tomorrow. The story is concurrent with Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 in terms of timeline. There are over 20 new Pokemon, and two will be revealed tomorrow. One is an evolution of an older Pokemon Eevee, called Draconeon. The other is a totally new Pokemon, called Verbill. It looks like a rodent, much like the Pokemon Patrat, but has a sort of pirate theme going on.
A Wii U app will be launched along with the game, which will be announced tomorrow. However, all that will be said is that the app will be addressed “at a later date”. The logo for the app features a globe with Pikachu, Munna, Treeko, Cyndaquil, and Piplup popping out from various countries.
Nintendo of America took to twitter to announce that a Pokémon themed Nintendo Direct will take place tomorrow. President of Nintendo Satoru Iwata will take the stage tomorrow in Nintendo’s first 2013 Nintendo Direct to deliver a short announcement that is Pokémon related. Here is the official tweet message from Nintendo below.
Join fans around the world tmrw for the 1st Nintendo Direct of 2013. Mr. Iwata will share a short message w/ Pokémon news @ 6 AM EST!
In a recent interview with Reuters, President of Nintendo Satoru Iwata discussed Wii U sales during the Christmas holidays. Mr. Iwata stated that the sales of the latest Wii U console are steady but not at the level the original Wii had accomplished. Here is what Mr. Iwata had to say to Reuters:
“At the end of the Christmas season, it wasn’t as though stores in the U.S. had no Wii U left in stock, as it was when Wii was first sold in that popular boom. But sales are not bad, and I feel it’s selling steadily.”
“It was the first time Nintendo released two models of the game console at the same time … and I believe there was a challenge with balancing this. Specifically, inventory levels for the premium, deluxe package was unbalanced as many people wanted that version and couldn’t find it.”
Fire Emblem: Awakening is set to release in North America on February 4th of this year. A new but short teaser trailer has arrived showing off some of the games beautiful art style. If you pre order Fire Emblem: Awakening now from GameStop you will receive a free art book. Check out the latest trailer below.