For years Nintendo stood on the fence when it came to putting their big ticket mascots on a system or mobile device other then their own. The tides have since changed and for the very first time in history Mario will appear exclusively on Apple’s App Store.
During Apples September 7 conference revealing the new iPhone 7 and Apple Watch Series 2, Shigeru Miyamoto and Bill Trinen from Nintendo took the stage to show off the new side scrolling runner game where simplicity and ease of use is key. The game is described by Nintendo below.
In this game, Mario constantly moves forward through the courses while you use a variety of jumps to navigate. Mario will behave differently depending on the timing of your taps, so it’s up to you to show off particularly smooth moves, gather coins, and reach the goal.
There are three different game modes to play. The first mode features challenging courses for you to complete while collecting coins. The second mode has you challenge the play data of other players to show who can beat a course with the most style to impress Toads into joining you. In the third mode, you get to create your own Mushroom Kingdom using the coins and Toads collected by playing the first two game modes.
Super Mario run will be a pay once and play game with no need to spend extra on in app purchases. The game will be hitting the iOS App Store exclusively this December. For a first look check out the gameplay video below.
Despite many who thought Nintendo’s E3 Direct was rather bland and lacking the wow factor many expected, Nintendo did deliver on a rather safe but enjoyable looking line up for Wii U. Here’s an in depth recap of all the games Nintendo announced during the presentation.
Wii U Games Announcements
- SUPER MARIO 3D WORLD: Super Mario 3D World is a continuation of the series Super Mario 3D Land which was originally released on 3DS. For the first time in a 3D Mario game it will feature up to four players in multiplayer mode with either Mario, Luigi, Toad or Peach to choose from. Each character will feature their own unique ability such as Peach’s ability to hover in mid air, toad’s ability to run faster then others and of course Luigi’s classic long jump. The game will feature a brand new suit called the Cat Mario suit. The Cat Mario suite can perform new actions such as climbing up walls and scratching enemies with his claws. You can look out for the new Super Mario 3D World game this December.
- Mario Kart 8: Mario Kart 8 features a brand new gameplay mechanic called the anti gravity which has been implemented within the courses. With this new mechanic players can race upside walls and upside down creating a brand new dimension to the game. You can also race underwater, glide in the air or ride motorcycles like in Mario Kart Wii. The game will feature its classic online multiplayer mode and for the first time ever Miiverse integration. Through Miiverse players can share racing highlights via Miiverse. The feature is dubbed Mario Kart TV. Mario Kart 8 is set to launch in Spring 2014.
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker: Earlier this year it was revealed that The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker would be making its way to Wii U as a completely remastered titles with updated HD visuals. Below is a new trailer showing off the latest in game footage of the upcoming Zelda title. Wind Waker will feature 1080p support, new shaders support to help visual expressions, refined texture graphics. The Tingle feature in the game has been upgraded to be used with Miiverse. Look out for Wind Waker this October.
- The Wonderful 101: The Wonderful 101 is an action game where a group of heroes and their leader battle against the space invader group who have started to attack earth. The hero features a mode called unit mode where the hero joins all partners together to form a giant special weapon which can be used to defeat large enemies and bosses. Unite mode can activated by using the gamepad to draw gestures which will determine how powerful your weapon is.The Wonderful 101 will be available on September 15th, 2013.
- Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze is a new title by famed developers Retro studios which features Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong back at Donkey Kong Island which has been taken over by a new enemy. In order to save Donkey Kong Island, Donkey Kong must set off against the new set of enemies called Vikings from the North Sea. The game will feature new dynamic camera angles and HD visuals to help realize the world of Donkey Kong. Look out for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze this November.
- Bayonetta 2: During the E3 show Nintendo showed off the much anticipated Bayonetta 2 which is exclusive to Wii U. Bayonetta 2 will arrive in 2014. Check out the latest epic trailer below.
- X: From the creators of Xenoblade comes this new epic title X by Monolith Soft. X is an open world adventure game for Wii U. Look out for X in 2014. Check out the trailer below for a taste of this fantastic looking game.
- Super Smash Bros (Wii U & 3DS): Here is the latest trailer for the upcoming Super Smash Bros game for Wii U and 3DS. Super Smash Bros is set for release in 2o14.
- Wii Party U: Wii Party U is a collection of stand out board and party games that utilize the unique features of the Wii U Gamepad and Wii remote controllers. The game will feature 80 new and different mini games and the addition of a brand new mode called “Table Top Mini Games” which you can play using one Gamepad and two players. Wii Party U was originally supposed to be released this summer however the game is being delayed in order to take more time to work on the game. The new release window for Wii Party U is October of this year.
- Wii Fit U: Wii Fit U was originally slated for a summer release. Nintendo has decided to take more time to work on the game to help implement new features. The new scheduled release window for Wii Fit U is slated for a December launch.
- Art Academy: After Miiverse blew up into an artistic drawing endeavour by many Nintendo fans, Nintendo decided they would like to create a new Art Academy designed for Wii U artist in order to help better show off their drawings in Miiverse. Users will be able to use a host of drawing tools to show off their art work in Miiverse for the world to see. This new drawing tool will be available on the Wii U eShop this summer.
Here is a list of 3rd party Wii U and 3DS releases for 2013;
- Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (Wii U/October 29th, 2013)
- Batman Arkham Origins (Wii U/October 25th, 2013)
- Batman Arkham Origins: Blackgate (3DS/October 25, 2013)
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Directors Cut (Wii U/2013)
- Disney Infinity (Wii U/August 18th, 2013)
- Just Dance 2o14 (Wii U/October 8th, 2o13)
- Rayman Legends (Wii U/September 3rd, 2013)
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (Wii U/Fall 2013)
- Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (3DS/Fall 2013)
- Disney’s Planes (Wii U/August 6th, 2013)
- Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS/July 16th, 2013)
- Skylanders Swap Force (Wii U/October 13th, 2013)
- Skylanders Swap Force (3DS/October 13th, 2013)
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Blacklist (Wii U/August 20th, 2013)
- Sonic Lost World (Wii U/Holiday 2o13)
- Sonic Lost World (3DS/Holiday 2o13)
- Watch Dogs (Wii U/November 19th, 2013)
Here is a list of games set to arrive both Wii U and 3DS eShop in near future:
That wraps up some of the biggest highlights from Nintendo’s E3 conference. Stay tuned for more upcoming news as we get hands on with some E3 games this Saturday.
In Nintendo’s latest commercial for Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D fans get an unsuspecting surprise guest appearance while trying out the game. Watch as these gamers get more of a scare then they bargained for in the above trailer. If you haven’t had a chance to try Donkey Kong Country Returns and you own a 3DS then you owe it to yourself to play this fantastic game with an added world and over 80 levels or retro goodness. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D was released on May 24.
For those not aware two classic Game Boy Color games The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons will be arriving on the 3DS eShop on May 30th. Both games can be played separately but to achieve the best experience it is recommended they are played together. The games feature a link system that unlocks additional content that you would otherwise not have access to such as a different final boss. Both games will cost $5.99 each however Nintendo wants you to get your hands on both and to do so they are lowering the cost of each of game from $5.99 to $4.99 from May 30th to June 20th. So for less then ten dollars you can have two fantastic and classic Game Boy Color games.
During todays Nintendo Direct Mr. Iwata announced that Nintendo is teaming up with Sega to bring a brand new action adventure platforming game that is set to launch exclusively on Wii U and 3DS. Mr. Iwata did not give anymore hints about the game but a single image was shown which is pictured above. More information on this upcoming game will be revealed prior to this years E3 show.
Video game strategy guide publisher Prima Games seems to have revealed the exclusive level names to the upcoming Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D scheduled to hit 3DS on May 24 in North America. World 9 in Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D will feature eight exclusive levels including a Golden Temple level from the Wii version. Below are a list of the whacky names given to these exclusive 3DS bonus levels.
- 9-1 Crushin’ Columns
- 9-2 Gushin’ Geysers
- 9-3 Spiky Surprise
- 9-4 Mischievous Moles
- 9-5 Topsy Turvy
- 9-6 Tar Ball Fall
- 9-7 Robo Factory
- 9-8 Lavawheel Volcano
It looks like fans of Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?! will be getting another mathematical dose in the series this fall. The new game will be titled Adventure Time: Explore The Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW! which continues to follow the obscure but awesome long title trend the series seems to be going with. Once again trusted developers WayForward are back developing the game which will be releasing on Wii U and 3DS along with Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. Here’s what D3Publisher and Cartoon Network had to say via a press release;
In a completely new storyline and adventure and featuring the voices of the show’s most popular characters, fans will have to save the Candy Kingdom by exploring the mysteries surrounding a massive Secret Royal Dungeon deep below the Land of Ooo. Select from an assortment of fan-favorite characters from the show, including Finn, Jake, Marceline, Cinnamon Bun, and more, and team up with your friends in four-player co-operative multiplayer as theAdventure Time world comes to life.
Source: Business Wire
Nintendo took to Twitter this morning to invite those who would like to take a minute out of Valentines Day tomorrow to view a new Nintendo Direct for America and Europe. Surprisingly Nintendo of Europe’s Direct will be focused solely on 3DS Whether this is due to struggling Wii U sales in Europe has yet to be confirmed. Nintendo stated this Nintendo Direct will be focused on Wii U and 3DS games at 6AM PST.
A source is claiming that the big Pokémon announcement set for tomorrow will come in the form of two announcements. The first will be Pokémon Rainbow for 3DS which encompasses Pokémon 1-4: Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, Ruby and Sapphire, and Diamond and Pearl. The second will be in the form of a Pokémon application set to release alongside the 3DS game. Heres what the source had to say:
The announcement is, more or less, a love letter to the franchise. It’s being called Pokemon Rainbow, a 3DS game that encompasses the settings and Pokemon from generations 1-4: Red and Blue, Gold and Silver, Ruby and Sapphire, and Diamond and Pearl. You can take my word for it that the graphics are done up very nicely. The perspective is similar to what you’d expect from Pokemon games, but the camera is much more dynamic. The graphical style is characterized by very clean, dark lines. Almost cartoonish, but not quite. Battles look radically different, and move away from the use of pixel art. Though it seems that the interface is still made of pixels. The battle that it shown is between a totally new trainer and a wild Weedle. The trainer uses a Pikachu.
I’m not privy to any story details, as I only know what will be announced tomorrow. The story is concurrent with Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 in terms of timeline. There are over 20 new Pokemon, and two will be revealed tomorrow. One is an evolution of an older Pokemon Eevee, called Draconeon. The other is a totally new Pokemon, called Verbill. It looks like a rodent, much like the Pokemon Patrat, but has a sort of pirate theme going on.
A Wii U app will be launched along with the game, which will be announced tomorrow. However, all that will be said is that the app will be addressed “at a later date”. The logo for the app features a globe with Pikachu, Munna, Treeko, Cyndaquil, and Piplup popping out from various countries.
Every two to three weeks Nintendo offers a variety of Club Nintendo games available to be redeemed with your hard earned coins collected from purchased games. Nintendo has finally updated the set of games available with the first set of games for 2013. Heres a list of what you can pick up today if you have the correct amount of coins.
Tetris (150 Coins/3DS Virtual Console)
Snowpack Park (150 Coins/Wiiware)
Punch-Out Ft Mr.Dream (200 Coins/3DS Virtual Console)
Mario Kart 64 (200 Coins/Wii Virtual Console)